CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

3.21.2007

Dose of Reality

Recently, someone left me a message that read: face reality.

Reality is that P. and I dated young. Have had marital problems based on the youth and issues from our past. We never dealt with each problem fully in our marriage, everything just built up. Now we find ourselves at the point of no return.

We push and pull. Sometimes he's fully committed, sometimes I am. There are so many factors to consider. First is whether our marriage can become healthy enough to be a good environment for the kids. Secondly, can we give each other what we need?

So here's where my dose of reality is.

1- I have tried to leave, told him he was free, consulted a lawyer.

2- Currently, he is the one wanting to try and work it out, and I can't help but want to try based on his words of love and assurance. I am still scared though. Sometimes leaving seems easier than all the work we will have to do.

3- I am not 'using' our kids. I have told him he could have open access to them. Indeed, he would likely see them more in that case then he has in the past 9mos.

4- I am not 'staying for the kids' and neither is P. We have made that clear to each other. It is not 'for the kids' to see a broken marriage hobble along. It will be the blueprint of what they expect for their marriage and we don't want that for them.

5- For the kids means both parents being the best role models for their kids, whether that is together or apart we have yet to see.

6- Even with the positive progress that P. and I have made, there is a chance that this marriage will end. However, we have the right to not only try, but to hold off on a choice either way in the immediate future. The choice doesn't have to be made this day or even this month. We are seeking help, we have goals and if things don't seem to be progressing, then we will re-evaluate.

7- The only people that fully know the picture of our marriage are the two people who have been there the entire 15 yrs. Not people (even my close friends and sis) that have heard things second-hand. Not people that were there during a down time and a 're-write of the relationship history'. The reason my closest friend and my sister are my confidants is because they can understand that. They have their opinions that might be counter to my own, but they keep them in check because they know they are not IN our marriage. They support me either way.

8- Working through our issues is the best chance for everyone to have happiness. I am happy on my own, indeed have been at the most peace when I have imagined living on my own. But the statistics are that future relationships are more likely to fail. If we can work through this and our other marital issues, then it is best for us and our family.


So there's my dose of reality. Yes, I helped get my marriage in its fucked up state. Yes, I have wallowed in my depression- never made any bones about that. This blog is a fairly complete record of my struggle. I have been this honest in the hopes of helping others who might feel depressed. Now you know one more issue in my life.

Because of that, I hope you understand when I say that I am all the more amazed at my healing. Yes, MINE, not P.'s. He's responsible for his own. I can't force him. Over the years I have talked to him about the childhood issues I see popping up in his adult interactions. Up until know he has refused to acknowledge that anything is an issue. We may or may not succeed, depending on what path we each take. We can only do so much together, the rest is up to individual things. I feel really good about my path. It's promising that P. has agreed to continue his own therapy.

Rest assured that whatever happens, it will be on OUR terms. Not someone's mistaken impression of what our marriage is, should be or will be. To my friends, thank you for your support- even when you don't believe in my actions, you believe in me.

2 i wanna add my .02!:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog. I see so much clarity in this. Less confusion.
Love you!

Bree said...

I've noticed a pattern in myself. I have to have time to step back and look at the big picture. What's making me nervous is where the big picture is leading.