CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

3.25.2007

...by example...

I read recently that if you want to help the environment, you don't have to become uber-granola and try to save the world one tree-hugging moment at a time. Just pick one thing to do and go from there, being an example and doing more when you can.

I suppose my first earth-friendly deed that I am an example of is breastfeeding. Oh, all the resources saved just by no formula cans to be recycled, no bottles to be created...even just the process of making formula takes it's toll on the environment.

Months ago, one of the mom's groups I'm in did a co-op for Earthwise bags. They came out to just over $1 a bag. I have been forgetting to use them, but do my best to keep them in the passenger seat of my car so I remember. I used them when my sister was here, and when she got home, she ordered enough for herself and her best friend. Bam. The environment helped just a little more. Friday when I went to the grocery store the clerk and the lady behind me took down the website from the bags. Bam. More help for the earth.

It's not just the reduce and reuse part of 'reduce, reuse and recycle.' These bags are slowly paying for themselves. My grocery store gives me .03 off for every bag I use. Not much, but at $1 a bag purchase price, these bags will not only pay for themselves, they will eventually earn me money. My sister's grocery store gives .05! So be sure to check into it. You can feel good and not be put out too much financially!

1 i wanna add my .02!:

Unknown said...

This is Bree's sis. I LOVE those bags. The first time I used them my DH was kinda embarrassed that I went 'back' to the car to get them. The cashier thought they were great! We ribbed DH about his embarrassment, then the cashier came up with a great idea. She said, 'you should put the change you save by using these bags in a jar for the next year! Then we'll see how embarrassed your DH is!' We get comments on them everytime we use them. 3 different cashiers on one trip. Hehe, DH isn't as embarrassed now. I think I'm going to be know as the green bag lady though! :-) Thanks sis for using those bags! I love you!